PGA Members were invited to attend two exclusive events: PGA Secretary Candidate Forum and Coffee with the Candidates, to meet and hear from the candidates for PGA Secretary at the PGA Fashion & Demo Experience on August 15 – 17 at the Venetian in Las Vegas.
Attendees joined the three candidates for PGA Secretary, Jim Richerson, PGA, Rick Murphy, PGA and Russ Libby, PGA as they answered questions, discussing their platforms and meeting with PGA Members individually.
Jim Richerson, PGA
Whistling Straits & Blackwolf Run
Section Affiliation: Wisconsin PGA
Nominating Section: Wisconsin PGA
"I believe the Association and its members face many challenges and we need passionate leaders with a broad business and golf background to serve and help drive programs that will grow the game and enhance the PGA member as the leaders in the game and business of golf."
Connect with Jim through his website or via email at JimRichersonPGA@gmail.com. You can also find him on Facebook.
Jim Richerson is the General Manager/Group Director at Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wisconsin. Elected to PGA membership in May 1995, Richerson has served at both the Section and National levels, including as the District 6 Director on the PGA Board of Directors. He was directly involved in the Association's Championships as an Executive Committee member for the 2010 and 2015 PGA Championships and is for the upcoming 2020 Ryder Cup.
- General Manager/Group Director, Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run, Kohler Co., 2007-present
- PGA Senior Director of Golf Properties, PGA of America, 2006
- PGA Director of Golf, The Ritz Carlton Golf Club, Orlando, Florida, 2004-2006
- District 6 Director, 2013-2015
- Secretary, Wisconsin PGA, 2015-present
- Board member, Wisconsin PGA, 2010-present
- National Committees: Properties (Chair, 2013-present); Budget (2013-present); Investment (2015-present)
- Wisconsin PGA Committees: Special Awards (2010-present); Education (Chair, 2014-present)
- Wisconsin PGA Golf Professional of the Year, 2013 and 2016
- Wisconsin PGA Bill Strausbaugh Award, 2012
- Wisconsin PGA Horton Smith Award, 2011
- Winner, Sacrament Del Paso Invitational, 1996
- Champion, Northern California PGA Section Pro-Assistants, 1996
- Champion, Southwest PGA Section Assistant-Assistant, 1990
- Champion, Heart of America Conference, William Jewell College, 1989
- 2nd and 3rd place finishes in Section events in Northern California, Aloha and Wisconsin
Kohler Co. Executive Team - partners with United Way; local Harvest for the Hungry; active member of St. John's Catholic Church
Rick Murphy, PGA
Greensboro National Golf Club
Rick Murphy Golf Academy
Greensboro, North Carolina
Section Affiliation: Carolinas PGA
Nominating Section: Carolinas PGA
"My hope is to serve the PGA of America and its more than 28,000 members and apprentices in an effort to grow the game, educate, improve employment opportunities and drive meaningful and useful benefits to our membership. My 35 years of active engagement and experience on the Section and National levels have provided me with the knowledge, understanding, vision and a servant leadership heart necessary to help lead our Association into the future."
Connect with Rick through his website or via email at email@example.com. You can also follow him @RickMurphyGolf or find him on Facebook.
Rick Murphy is the Owner/PGA Director of Instruction of the Rick Murphy Golf Academy & Practice Center and Greensboro National Golf Club in Greensboro, North Carolina. Elected to PGA membership in August 1981, Murphy has served at both the Section and National levels, including his current position as Director (District 10) on the PGA Board of Directors.
- Owner/Director of Instruction Rick Murphy Golf Academy, 2000-present
- Owner/Director of Instruction, Greensboro National Golf Club, 2012-present
- Director of Instruction, Country Club De Bogota, 1995-1999
- Director of Golf, Sedgefield Country Club (previously The Cardinal Golf Club), 1983-1995
- District Director PGA Board of Directors, 2013-2016
- Board of Directors, Carolinas PGA, (2013-2016)
- President, Carolinas PGA, 2006-2007
- Vice President, Carolinas PGA, 2004-2005
- Secretary, Carolinas PGA, 2003-2004
- More than 28 years as a Board Member at the Section level
- National Committees: PGA Youth Player Development Co-Chair (2015-2016); PGA Youth Player Development (2013-2014); PGA Teaching & Coaching (2011-2012, 2015-present)
- Carolinas PGA Committees: Teaching and Coaching Co-Chair (2015-2016); served on Section Membership, Drug & Alcohol, Junior Golf, Education, Employment, Apprentice Orientation and other committees since 1984
- National PGA Youth Player Development Award, 1988
- Carolinas PGA Golf Professional of the Year, 2008
- Carolinas PGA Teacher of the Year, 2001, 2009
- Carolinas PGA Junior Golf Leader, 5-time winner
- PGA National Free Lesson Month Award Winner, 2011, 2012
- Spalding National Teacher of the Year, 1993
- Golf Digest Best Teacher in State, 2015-2016
- Golf Digest-Golf Shop Operations National Junior Golf Promoter of the Year (Private Club), 1988
- Competed in numerous PGA Professional National Championships and PGA Senior Professional National Championships
- CPGA Woodcreek Farms Senior Open Champion
- CPGA Walnut Creek Senior Open Champion
- CPGA Rock Barn Senior Open, 2nd place
- Played on the PGA Tour, Nike and Nationwide Tours
- Finished among the top 5 in the CPGA Senior Player of the Year Standings, 2008
Holy Trinity Episcopal Church - Greensboro; The First Tee of the Triad - Greensboro; Special Olympics; participate with Carolinas PGA and the PGA Tour Wyndham Championship - Greensboro.
Russ Libby, PGA
Hidden Hills Country Club
Section Affiliation: North Florida PGA
Nominating Section: North Florida PGA
"My 30 years in the industry and 23 years as a PGA member, coupled with my extensive leadership background on the Chapter, Section and National levels has given me the proper foundation to lead our association and invoke positive change for our members, our Sections, the PGA of America and the game of golf."
Connect with Russ through his website or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow him@RussLibbyPGA or find him on Facebook.
Russ Libby is the PGA owner/general manager of Hidden Hills Country Club in Jacksonville, Fla. Elected to PGA membership in July 1992, Libby has served at both the Section and National levels, including on the PGA Board of Control from 2007-2011.
- PGA Owner/General Manager, Hidden Hills Country Club, 2003-present
- Director of Golf, Deerwood Country Club, 2000-2003
- Head Professional, Sawgrass Country Club, 1997-2000
- Board of Control, 2007-2011
- Honorary President, North Florida PGA, 2006-2007
- President, North Florida PGA, 2004-2005
- Vice President, North Florida PGA, 2002-2003
- Secretary, North Florida PGA, 2001
- President, Northern Chapter, 1999-2000
- Vice President, Northern Chapter, 1998-1999
- Secretary, Northern Chapter, 1998
- National Committees: Employment (2015-present); Special Awards (2013-present); Golf 2.0 Strategic Team (2011-2014); E-Commerce Task Force (2009-2012); Performance Trak (2007-2011)
- North Florida PGA Committees: Finance (2011-present); Special Awards (Chair, 2006-2007); Member Recognition Task Force (2015-present); Growth of the Game (2014-present)
- Northern Chapter Committees: Education and Mentoring Chair (2011-present); Special Awards (2014-present)
- PGA Horton Smith Award, 2015
- North Florida PGA Hall of Fame Inductee, 2011
- North Florida PGA Golf Professional of the Year, 2000
- North Florida PGA Bill Strausbaugh Award, 2012
- North Florida PGA Horton Smith Award, 2014, 2015
- Northern Chapter PGA Professional of the Year Award, 2015
- Northern Chapter Standards of Excellence Award, 2015
- Northern Chapter Horton Smith Award, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015
- Northern Chapter Bill Strausbaugh Award, 2012
- Northern Chapter PGA Professional of the Year Award, 2000
- Tommy Armour Tour, 1993-1995
First Tee of North Florida (board member) (2013-present); Florida's First Coast of Golf (board member) (2015-present); National Golf Course Owners Association (2003-present); Club Manager's Association of America (2003-present); Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association (2010-2015); San Jose Episcopal Day School Foundation (2005-2015); Baseball Coach, San Jose Athletic Association (2007-2013); Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce (2003-2007; 2012-present)